Skip to main content

Learning styles

When I began my homeschooling journey, one thing that kept coming up in my readings was the need to inform oneself, read and read and read on homeschooling, learning, and teaching. As I researched about homeschooling in books like The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling by Debra Bell,  and Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting started in Homeschooling,  one topic that kept coming up was the one about learning styles. As I went on trying to homeschool my son who is now almost 6, the need for me to understand this whole thing about learning styles became important. Zach has never done things the usual way. He never liked coloring, he does not like to play games, he like to do things on his own, he learns by hearing and seeing. He does not respond well to direct teaching, yet, if he hears it through a different channel, mainly video, it sticks to his mind. He taught himself to read at 4, and I did not even know. I just happened to see him spell the word stop one day. So, I realized I had to adapt my teaching to the way he learns.



Now, I was going to write 2 posts on this subject, describing the 3 types of learners, visual, auditory and kinesthetic, and one on right/left brain dominance, when I stumbled upon a website called Leaping from the box. There, I found an excellent, balanced, and comprehensive article on the different learning style philosophies out there, as well as on the right/left brain dominance topic. What I like also about her article is her conclusion, that is, that no theory really is clear cut. While some kids will fit a model very well, some just can't be categorized that easily (as is the case with my boys). So, I would really encourage you to hop over and read Karen Gibson's article: Learning Styles and Hemispheric Dominance - Is Your Learning Style at Odds with That of Your Child's?.



Let me know your reactions and what you think.
Have a great day, Joelle

Comments

kewkew said…
I think learning styles is something I really need to look into more. Thanks for sharing the link.
So glad you stopped by Throwback Thursday Blog Style. I can't wait to see what you share this week
On another note, isn't that picture in your header from the Creation Museum? Thinking that bridge and waterfall look familiar.

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle