Skip to main content

ABC's of Homeschooling C for . . .


ABCs of Homeschooling


My word this week is Creativity.

According to the dictionary being creative is "being skillful at using your imagination and thinking of new ideas." In other words, it's about making things, solving problems,  and exploring ideas. Creativity challenges us as human being, as we have to use our brains in different ways and make connections.

I do not know about you, but this is not my strongest skill. I am not a very creative person but homeschooling has certainly helped me develop that part of my brain. I find that as homeschoolers we often have to come up with ways to teach things better to our children. We often have to play aroud curriculum, find new manipulatives, and ways to practice, let's say, math facts and spelling and grammar etc...  This has been a challenging part of homeschooling, but also a rewarding one, as I see my efforts ussually paying off with them being excited about something or learning something better. Sometimes, it does not work out, but at least I know I tried.

Another way in which creativity is seen in homeschooling, and probably one of the greatest benefit of homeschooling, is the ability to see your child's creativity blossom and being expressed. The words "I have an idea."  often come from the month of my 2 boys, and I love to hear it. I love to see my boys' creations, whether with blocks, in an art or craft project, in a science experiment, or even in a new way of doing a math problem. It is all over the house. The way my oldest makes up his own city and fills it with things as he learn more things in school or in life, is amazing (it's all in his head but he always talks about it).

I will venture and say that in school the opportunities for one's creativity are not as prevalent. In school you have to follow and stay with the plan and the program, which I think would not be too conducive for  fostering creativity. There is not much time for creative thinking and actual, physical exploration.

I have a very "outside the box thinker" and a very "mom, look at what I have made!" children, and I have to make sure they get plenty of time to explore their ideas and do lots of self-directed learning, otherwise I would be homeschooling walls. I believe in Classical eduction (another C -word), so lots of our school is teaching the boys to be rigorous in the humanities and languages, but I also believe that children learn best when prompted by their own minds. So, I try to do my best to give them a balance of the two.

For more C words make sure to go over to 5 Kids and a Dog.

 

Comments

Kimberly said…
I love that my boys have such freedom to be creative! And their creativity counts as school. (instead is insisting they do it just right before it is turned in)

Great Post!

http://kabersblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/c-is-for-cookie.html
sevensmiths said…
Thanks for sharing. Finding that balance of creativity and freedom along with structure is important! :)
aurie said…
Thanks for sharing! These are wonderful reasons to homeschool :) So glad that you are able to spend this time with your children.

Happy I Fellowship Day!

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle