Skip to main content

Top Ten Homeschooling Challenges



Top Ten {Tuesday}I do not think any homeschool mom will say that the homeschooling journey is a smooth and easy one. Every year is a different year. Everyday is a different day with its own sets of challenges. That's why most homeschoolers will tell you they homeschool one day at a time and a year at a time.

So, I though I would list some of the challenges  I (we) face sometimes:

1. Choosing curriculum: there are so many and not spending an enormous amount of money on educational resources.

2. Dealing with those around us who do not understand our decision to homeschool or do not share our values.

3. Keeping up a schedule and meeting our goals.

4. Keeping kids focused.

5. Keeping the house in order.

6. Including physical education and spend quality and quantity time outdoor.

7. Developing social skills (mainly if you have less that 3 kids), that's where playdates and co-ops come in. When they do, they end up with better social skills though.

8. Being patient and gracious no mater what.

9. Creating a school room: it really depends on how much space you have in your home.

10. Keeping a good attitude towards the kids and the job of a stay at home homeschool mom.

It is nonetheless a wonderful worthwhile journey.

Feel free to check out my previous top ten on  Some Benefits and Blessings of Homeschooling.

Comments

Jenny said…
I agree. We face the same challenges! Especially other people not understanding our decision to homeschool. Nice to meet you! :)
Kimberly said…
though there are challenges, it is still easier than the 2 years we had the boys in public school!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sorry it took a while to comment back. (I have been battling a week-long migraine)

I gave up on a clean house- so that's one less challenge for me!

I hope you can visit again. I'm in a bit of a blogging rut this month, but hope to have more exciting posts soon as we will be starting up our sciences again.

-Kimberly
Mary said…
#8 is the hardest for me. Great list!
aurie said…
that is a good list - and pretty much all of those are on my "worry about" list as I get ready to dive into Homeschooling!!

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle