Skip to main content

Homeschool Mother Journal


In my life this week…Recuperating from last week's  DVBSes ,  Planning, planning, planning and TOS crew mingling, oh yeah,  cleaning too.



In our homeschool this week… Not much!  The boys are still reading up in Ancient Rome, they really love this era as we are completing our TOG year 1. They are enjoying playing some Math games on Dad's ipad. We did do some spelling as well (wow that is really something!)



Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share… None I am always looking for some.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… Nowhere in particular since it is so brutally hot here. We only went o the library and the mall to cool off. On Monday we were supposed to go to a homeschool picnic but I sprung my ankle last Saturday while racing a friend of mine on one of those inflatable obstacle courses, so I had to stay home with my foot up. Zach has been going to a group violin summer class and will be performing at a Starbucks next Saturday, very exciting!

My favorite thing this week was… Getting a new cell phone (in my case first one). We are cutting our cable and home phone (cost cutting), so we picked up a cell phone for me to use as the home phone - unlimited calls for $24/month, not bad, definitely better than the $40 odd we were paying every month.

Questions/thoughts I have… Why do kids love computer games so much?

Things I’m working on…Lesson plans and  schedule for next school year.

I’m cooking… a birthday cake for my hubby's birthday tomorrow: Double Chocolate Bomb.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Photobucket Photobucket


Photobucket


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle