Skip to main content

Book Reflections

I recently requested for my birthday the book called: Think Christianly. You would not believe how excited my bookish hubby was at the thought that his wife of ten years finally asks for a book as a birthday gift.

Anyway, I am tremendously enjoying this book and want to share what I am learning from it.

The book is divided into three sections:

  1. Understanding our Intersection: Defining terms and taking a look at where our world is at.
  2. Preparing to Engage: a look at how we can prepare ourselves to take up the challenge we are faced with.
  3. Areas we Must Engage: a look at specific areas where we need to apply and impact our world with our christian thinking.

From chapter 1, 2 and 3, a few highlights:

1.  A clear distinction between culture and world is vital to thinking christianly and acting the way we ought to in this present day and age. Culture is "what we make of our world; advancements in the way we use our resources".  World is a "realm; idea systems". Culture is influenced by the world or by our worldview. Furthermore, one must distinguish between culture and pop - culture. Pop-culture is "What most people adhere to, resonate with, embrace and consume when it comes to culture."

 The idea system of our present world is against God - the main tenets being naturalism and hedonism - and we ought not be "part of it", but not everything that our culture comes up with is necessarily evil. One must be shrewd in distinguishing between the two.

2.  "Christians ought to be different, but for kingdom reasons, not just for silly legalistic or christian subculture Reasons". Our distinction comes from our different worldview, values, priorities, and these are set by God and His Word.

3.  Our mandate, as created being, is to make something of this world, and as redeemed and transformed people, we christians should seek to make something out of the world, to be culturally engaged, for the glory of God and to so being guided by His realities. This means that though, we ought to not be "of" the world (meaning sharing the world's worldview), we ought to be "in" this world (meaning fully engaged with our world).

4.   "As ambassadors of Christ, if people are going to stumble and take issues with us, we want them to stumble over Christ, not us". The gospel is offensive enough that we do not need to give our opponents reasons to not listen to what we have to say. This again demands careful reflection in the way and reasons why we oppose things, the way we critique, consume, and copy culture. This also means we need to know our story (Christian heritage and beliefs) well and accurately. What we believe is true we need to be able to explain that well and accurately.

5. Our engagement of the culture must be characterized by love.

6. Our success in our engagement is not measured by the results but by our faithfulness to the task. How faithful to the biblical mandate we are.

7. The author identifies three challenges facing the next generation:
Boredom and Apathy: "We must redefine the good life for our youth and cast a compelling vision for it."

Relation Disconnection : we need to reconnect with our youth instead of letting them wander and navigate in this world without guidance.

Intellectual Disengagement. : We need to help our youth to nurture a good foundation on how to think. We must help them see that "we must base our lives on true knowledge of reality."

8. We need to mentor our youths, surround them with grounded christians examples, and most of all help them build a strong Christian worldview from a young age, through wrestling with the important questions of life such as: Does God exist? Is it reasonable to believe in the existence of God? Can we trust the Bible? Can we know who Jesus claimed to be? If God is good why is there evil? etc....

Bottom line the first step to thinking christianly is to have a mind constantly being renewed by God's truth and reality so that we can engage our world as we culturally interact with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle