Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-Up and Friday Collage


The first full week of the year is almost finished. We made it through our first week back to school after the Christmas break. I am glad to report that it went quite well.

1.  We covered most our school subjects:

  • Math: Decimals and Fractions
  • Handwriting 
  • History: Victorian Era
  • Spelling: review and new phonograms (er, or, ea) and new spelling rule (a e o u make their long sound at the end of syllables).
  • Science: Planet Mars specifications
  • Grammar: Zach finished up Grammar Town and started Practice Town
  • Writing: Zach started Paragraph Town. It is a hit so far.
  • Bible: I have started the boys on a Bible reading plan, basically read a chapter a day starting from the beginning, Genesis.
2. What they read and are still reading this week:

     



3. Of course lots of lego and games activities, given all the games they got over Christmas.


4. Since we had a friend staying over, during the Christmas vacation, we took a little trip over to Niagara Falls. It was cold but always a pleasure to look at. We did cross over the border this time to see what it is like from the american side (first time). We need to do that again but in the summer though.

5. I have started a few bible verses memorization: 100 Verses Challenge, Psalm 71 and the Romans Project (Romans 1, 8 and 12).

6. I rearranged, yet again, our apartment's living and dining area. This time it really looks like a new place all together. Even the boys say that they need to get used to the new look.

And that is about it for these first few days at our home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle