Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up / Homeschool Mother Journal



For this second week back to school I am still happy to report that we had a good week.

  • In my life this week…
    I hate to admit it but I have been enjoying not having my hubby around. I do miss him and all the things we do together, but being the independent kind of girl I am, I have been enjoying the somewhat freedom is absence is giving me. I do speak to him twice a day, that kind of helps with the void.
  • In our homeschool this week…

We had a productive week in all subjects: Handwriting, Math, History, Science, Grammar, Writing and Spelling. I started Joho on our first review product and so far I love it: A+Tutorsoft (watch out for the coming up review)

Other than that, the boys are still ploying away in the Hobbit and can't get enough of the Civilization game I got Zach on his birthday, back in November.

  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
I love to teach the boys together even though they are 2 years and normally 2 grades apart, however I discovered this week that when testing them it can be better to do it separately and then correct them together. That worked out quite well.

  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We were able to go skating twice this week, which is really a big thing around here.

  • My (and the boys) favorite thing this week was…
our playdate with a friend and her 4 kids. We have not had a playdate in ages so that was really nice both for the kids and mom.
  • I’m cooking…
Though my hubby is away for 2 weeks, I have been cooking cool stuff still such as:


  • I’m grateful for…
Safe driving in snow without snow tires

Comments

Mary said…
Sounds like a good week! The food looks good, but what is it? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle