Tapestry of Grace is one of those curriculum, because of its richness, needs planning in order to sift through the buffet of learning it offers.
Last year I tried a system that I did not really followed through, so this year I have to come up with another. Here is my attempt.
The process I am presenting here will be done unit by unit.
Before the year starts, for Unit 1:
- decide what will be done on what days:
- compile an assignment schedule detailing for each week:
* the readings for history and literature,
* map work
* timeline work
* vocabulary to be learned
- Print out the maps needed for each week.
- Order books from the library (preferably early in the week or better yet 2 weeks before).
- Mark the pages in each books that we are going to read together.
- Gather supplies for projects
Our weekly schedule:
- Monday: history and literature readings, and vocabulary
- Tuesday: continued reading, begin timeline and/or map work
- Wednesday: continued reading, finish map work, and start special project
- Friday: Review vocabulary work, literature assignment and finish special project
This week is actually our back to school week, so in the next weeks I will be able to assess how this system measures up.