Math is one of those school subjects, that we want to make sure our children master. Some of us homeschooler, are either comfortable teaching it, some others not so much. There are lots of Math curricula out there, but CTCMath has been, for the last 3 years or so, a favorite at our house.
CTCMath offers you a complete online Math curriculum geared towards kids K-12. We received a full year subscription to their CTCMath Homeschool Membership.
As an online program, you need a computer, an internet connection and a log in to use CTCMath. The program works on tablets as well.
It is very easy to set up and very easy to navigate and use. The program consists of video lessons, followed by sets of exercices or practice questions. The video are a good reasonable length. They are lectures, by an Australian teacher, whom you do not see but only hear. The practices consists of a set of practice problems. You have instant feedback as to whether or not you got the answer right, along with the right answer if you got it wrong. Once the whole set of questions is completed a grade is awarded to you.
When we first reviewed this program, the boys were elementary age, now as middle schoolers, we have started using the pre-algebra section of the program. One of the main difference is that the practice sheets work differently. There usually a sheet that contain the questions, and then another spot for you to answer. What my son usually does is print the question page.
In the last year or so CTCMath has also worked hard in changing the look, layout and functionality of the program. I personally find it more appealing, just by its simplicity and fresh look.
CTCMath is quite comprehensive, each level is divided in sections, which are in turn divided in topics, which themselves are divided into more subtopics.
Other features of the programs are as follows:
- Reward system. You get awarded medals (platinum, Gold, silver and bronze according to how well you did on your questions)
- Printable summary of the lessons available in PDF
- Option to print the practice questions
- The exercises are graded
- In the teacher's account you can set the passing grade, and view details of how your child did
- You can redo the exercises as many times as you want, in order to achieve your passing grade. Everytime you redo the questions, you have a new set to work with.
- You can re watch the videos at any time, and any number of times
CTCMath is a great option for a homeschool Math curriculum. It is exhaustive, self-paced and easy to use. I highly recommend it! My boys still enjoy using CTCMath, and I will most likely be using this for the next few years to come.