For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not of yourselves it is the gift of God, not of works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Homeschool Village: Outreach



This week at the Homeschool Village we are sharing about how we get involve in our community, in other words about outreach.


I have to admit we do not do much here, but when an occasion rises we go. For example, last Christmas we were more than happy to have the kids go along with other kids in our homeschool group to sing carols at a nursing home. It was a great experience for the kids and we are hoping to do it again this year.


When we were in Jamaica, my husband used to go every week to a nursing home to bring the Word, and we would bring our kids to cheer them up. They really loved seeing the little ones.

Our church might get involved with another nursing home in the fall and I will try to take them there as well. Also, we do have a food bank at our church and I guess it would be a good idea to have my kids aware of it and understand why we have it.

This link up really inspired me to do more, and I really enjoyed reading about the different ideas. Make sure you go have a look.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Thanks so much for that link. I enjoyed reading that. We try to do things throughout the year as well. The past couple of years I have randomly selected children's hospitals online and had the girls make out about a hundred Christmas cards. Family donated many of these. The kids really enjoyed making out cards for the sick children. Usually the social services division can guide you as to what address to send the mail to. The hospitals usually write the kids a letter back over the next couple of months with a report of how tickled the kids were to recieve some surprise mail on Christmas. I'm not sure what we will do this year but the HomeSchool Village had some great suggestions. Thanks so much.

Jessica @ Mother of Action said...

I feel that a local nursing home is always a great place to start for volunteer work and for displaying love to another human being! Thank you for sharing and I pray that your church does find guidance on where to volunteer for next. Thanks for sharing! ;)

stef said...

Yeah Joelle - I'm so glad it inspired you! I'm realizing more and more it's not a big project but little heart felt ones that do make a BIG difference!

so glad you linked up again!
Stef
the hsv

Homeschool Copywork Membership Sign-Up
Write Through the Bible
Main business logo--medium
Subscribe