Skip to main content

The Homeschool Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week...

For the past few weeks I have been trying to get hold of my time and be more effective in the way I juggle household, homeschool, church and down time. I am making progress, but my blog suffers from it. I am totally fine with it, as it is of course a matter of priority.

In our homeschool this week...

In the past couple of weeks a lot has happened. We were able to follow our schedule and cover all of our different subjects. Last Saturday we had a project fair, which went quite well. The boys really enjoyed it.

Joho's was on boat:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Zach's was on police
Photobucket

Photobucket


This week we concluded our Unit 2 of TOG year 1. This was a long unit with lots of information but we made it through. Their  favorite part was learning about Ancient India, Ancient China and Ancient Greece.

The boys enjoyed playing with balloons as we  started studying about electricity in our Real Science 4 kids.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

In Math I have implemented Math computer games for Zach from BBC Skillwise and Helping with Math.
Places we're going and people we're seeing...

We went to the park both last week and this week. It is still a bit chilly but the sun was calling my outdoor loving younger son, so out went. . .

Photobucket
My favorite thing this week was...

Seeing the kids playing together more this week, and also getting along more rather than disagreeing with each other. My hubby reminded me of the verse : "How good and pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity. . ."

Also, seeing my boys learning to play chess better, with a book about chess opened in front of them.



What's working/not working for us...

Our study of Training Hearts Teaching Minds and the Bible memory system  from Charlotte Mason is working well for us. The kids know their verses and their catechism well. They ask a lot of questions which is even better.



Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

I need to find a spelling program that uses minimal actual writing. Does that even exist or is that completely unrealistic?


A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

A puzzle map of Israel
Photobucket

Phoenician bread (in other word pita bread), which Zach really enjoyed. I hate to say it was good. The recipe came from the activity book of Story of the World I

Photobucket


Comments

Shellie said…
Hello, just visiting from the Ultimate Blog Party. I had stumbled upon your blog before and really loved it. Will need to come back again.

Blessings!
http://animperfecths.blogspot.com and http://createdtobringhimglory.blogspot.com/
Mrs. O said…
The project looks like lots of fun! You have inspired me. We are not in a co-op or group at all. We really need to get involved with one. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from the Hop. :O)
christina said…
You keep your priorities first!!!

Love your hair! Did you get it cut? It's nice to see you in some pictures!

What a blessing the Lord warmed up the day enough for your boys to enjoy some outdoor time!

I miss you! I feel like we haven't "talked" in a long time! Expect an e-mail from me in the next couple of weeks (I have a lot going on right now so I am staying busy!)

Blessing to you!
Christine

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle