Skip to main content

A+ Tutorsoft - TOS Review


My first review for this crew year  is a math program from A+ Tutorsoft Inc. As I often say on this blog, Math is one of those subjects that we never have enough ressources to teach with, and to practice with, so receiving another Math program to review is always a gem.

What is A+ Interactive MATH ? As its name says it is an interactive Math program that serves as a tutor. It is a full-year interactive program which goal is to help students improve their grades in Math from Grade 1 to 6th, and pre-Algebra and Algebra levels as well.

The program comes in 2 forms: 1) Software CD or  2) an online program.

I received the online Homeschool Edition program for grade 3 for review.

First off this online program works on both Mac and PC and requires a high-speed internet connection. It is pretty easy to set up, all you need is your login information.

How does it work?
Everytime you log in you are taken to your workplace which consists of all your lessons on the lefthand space of the screen. There you pick your lesson for your session.

Grade 3 covers:
  • Basic Number sense
  • Addition
  • Substraction
  • Multiplication
  • Division
  • Decimal numbers
  • Fractions and basic operations
  • Basic Graph
  • Time and money
  • Measurements
  • Algebra
  • Geometry
  • Probability
  • Word problems
Each topics is divided between 2 to 10 interactive lessons. Each lesson has its own set of interactive quizzes right after the lesson (5 to 7 questions). These give you immediate feedback.

The lessons are colourful, involve text and audio and sometimes are interactive.The voice is monotone but pleasant.

On separate tabs, at the top, you can access online interactive worksheets or printable worksheets for every single lessons.

The way I used it with my 2nd/3rd grader is that I would have him listen to the lessons, then do the quiz and depending on how he did on the quiz, have him do the online worksheets. Then depending on how he did on these, have him do the corresponding printable worksheets.

Our opinion:

I have mix feelings about this program. There are lots of characteristics that I love but somehow it did not work very well for my youngest (with whom I was using the program).

Here are the things I like:
  • The many ways to practice the concepts: quiz, online worksheets and printable worksheets
  • Lots of lovely printable resource math charts
  • On the quizzes, when you make a mistake it explains to you why right away.
  • The lessons and quizzes were of a good length, not too short, not too long.
  • The explanations are clear.
  • The topics were explored in a different way than regular textbooks.
  • The questions are challenging and force you to think
  • You get graded right away at the end of the quiz, and you can print certificates too after exams.
  • The program can be used rather independently.
  • It is a complete program with tests or exams available at the end of each sessions.
  • Full answer keys for the parents
  • Suggested lesson plans
  • Progress tracking options
Here are the things that did not seem to work for us:
  • The screen is small
  • It seemed to introduces stuff in the middle of the practice that was not covered in the lesson. They could be inferred but some kids may not be able to make the connection
  • The program sometimes would freeze or not start up
  • Bugs in the result scores. It was difficult to understand them at times
My youngest had a hard time sometimes understanding the concepts the way they were presented. In the first lessons on  number sense, additions, subtractions and multiplications, as well as money, he was able to get through as he knew a lot of these already and I like the way he was forced to think about these concepts in a somewhat different way. But when it came to things he had not mastered yet such has divisions, he got all confused. I think part of the reason is that even though the program is visual, It demands good auditory skills. You have to be able to focus well and my son tends to get distracted easily. I think he was not following very well the explanations.

When I saw this was not working well for him I decided to see how it would work for my oldest who is very auditory and sure enough, when I had him try (on a topic which we had not covered yet - probability) he did very well.

It seemed to me that they approach Math very conceptually which works well for some kids and not so well with others, though this approach gives strong foundations.

Overall, this program is a good program providing your child does well with conceptual learning.

Other information:

Price:  Premium: $124.99. This is for one year and up to 5 children.

Monthly: $19.95, Quarterly: $49.99


For you my readers, they are offering a special promotion where you can get 50% off until the end of March by entering the code: SPOFFER50

For more information you can check their FAQ page.

You can also try it for 1 month here.

To read about what other homeschoolers have to say about A+ Tutorsoft, both online and software product, make sure to visit the Old Schoolhouse crew.


Photobucket








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle