Today I am sharing a traditional recipe from back home in the Caribbean. It is served at festive gatherings, Christmas, dedications, birthday etc...
Pain au Beurre - Butter Bread
4 cups flour + 2-4 Tbsp
125g (1/2 cup) butter
200 ml milk (half of it can be water)
3 Tbsp water
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 yeast
1. Melt the butter and mix in the sugar, eggs , milk and water.
2. Mix flour, salt and yeast.
3. Mix the liquid to the dry ingredients.
4. Knead for about 5 min. until smooth dough. Let it rise till double in size (1 1/2 -2 hours)
5. Punch dough down and divide into 2.
6.Take one batch and divide into 3 equal sizes. Form each into long strings and shape the 3 stands into a braid.
7. Place on a greased cookie sheet, brush with egg yolk and bake in a preheated oven @ 375 for 25-30 min.
Bread machine option:
Put all the ingredients in the bread machine in the ordered specified by your machine.
Once dough is ready continue on from # 5.
This is great right out of the oven, or can be frozen, then warmed up in foil in an oven and eaten with a warm hot bowl of chocolate milk.