Skip to main content

Random 5 on Friday (I know it's Saturday)

The Pebble Pond
It's time for a random 5 post and a monthly wrap-up.

1. This week the boys had a planned break that turned out being a light week. I required Mango Languages (as it is a review item), Bible and regular readings.

2. Joho is really happy that he got to go see the Lego Movie with some friends from church. I am so grateful for church family.

3. Where are we in school?

In Math, both the boys have been working on decimals and problem solving.
Writing and Rhetoric (our new writing curriculum) is going really well. Everyone is enjoying working with it. It is a lot of fun to study the fables, summarizing and emplifying them.  They both find it easier to amplify a story than summarizing it, but it's coming.
We've been doing most of our Grammar through the Logic of English and that's working out well, as it allows for them to review things we have covered in the past.
In History, we just concluded our second unit in TOG with a little study on Israel and on The Cold War. Next week we will start unit 3 with a study of India in the 20th century.
We've been doing a lot of science experiments using our Science and Math science DVD review item.



4.  Last Monday was family day. What did we do?
  • Watch Lone Ranger and Epic
  • Played Settlers of Catan and Wii




5. Here are a few pictures of what I have been cooking lately:

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Parmesan Garlic rolls
Lasagna Soup

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle