Skip to main content

Try a New Recipe Tuesday

I love apple cakes. There is something about them that is so comforting. I also love trying new recipes. Here is my latest try of an apple cake recipe which I tried yesterday. There was but a lonely piece left after 2 hours. This recipe is easy and delicious, just the way I like it since I am always looking for something to make late in the day. This recipe is also great for using those yogurts you neeed to finish before the pending expiry date.

I halved the recipe and put it in a 9"round cake pan.

Apple Yogurt Cake


  • 1 1/2 cups yogurt, 
  • 2/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup), I used bottled lemon juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 4 small tart apples, such as Granny Smith, about 1 1/2 pounds
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided 
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with baking spray or olive oil.
1. Whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. 
2. Peel, core and dice the apples. Stir the chopped apple into the liquid ingredients.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon right into the liquids and stir just until no lumps remain. 
4. In a small separate bowl, mix the remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon with the brown sugar and butter.
5. Pour half of the batter into the cake pan, then sprinkle the batter with half of the cinnamon-brown sugar mixture, dropping it on the batter in small lumps. 
6. Spread the rest of the batter over top, and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-brown sugar.
7. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, covering with foil at the end if the top is browning. When a tester comes out clean, transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let it cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. 
Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
Et Voila! Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle