Welcome back to day two of the Back to Homeschool Blog Hop. Today we will look at First Day Traditions.
I am not one who loves traditions so much, so our back to school first day is usually uneventful and just like a regular school day.
However, that said, I know that many homeschoolers love to make the first day of school special, and I have to admit it is kind of cool if you get to do it. We did do something special a couple of our homeschooling years. So, today I would like to share with you a few ideas to make that first day of back to homeschool memorable and exciting.
Here are 5 to get your juices flowing:
1. Plan a field trip on that day. Many homeschoolers take that first day as a day to get out and enjoy the outdoor, or go on a field trip. What a way to get the school year on a right foot! A fun day of learning! A lot of my friends always go to Marineland the week of back to school here in Canada
2. Plan a special meal, either for breakfast or lunch. Ideas can be pancakes, cinnamon rolls, crepes, or something that your children particularly like. For us it would have to be crepes with fruits and whipped cream. Try this Apple Pie Pancake, it is delish! Just tried it this morning and it as a hit.
3. Have the kids decorate their notebooks or prepare some sort of "I am in ... grade" sign. This is the one I have done a few years back when they were entering younger grades. I would give them a piece of paper for them to right their name and grade on, and they would decorate it. Another add-on to this could be an "About me questionnaire", such as favorite color, food, book, height and things like this.
4. Take a school picture. You could also take a special picture of them on that day. I personally like the outdoor pictures! You could also take a picture of them holding their project from suggestion #3.
5. Give a special gift on that day! Most popular and inexpensive would be a special notebook, pen, pencil, or sharpener, or even a binder or pencil case. You could wrap it, or hide it and make a game out of it. You could also make it a piece of clothing if you wish.
Now, your turn to share some back to school traditions!
Don't forget to check the Back To Homeschool page on the TOS crew site. Happy hopping!