Skip to main content

The Homeschool Mother Journal and Friday Collage

Homegrown Learners

It's Friday and time for a school recap. I missed last week's recap for this is a run down of the last 2 weeks.

In our Homeschool . . .

Our school has been going smoothly:

Handwriting: doing the next thing.

Grammar: moving along in Practice Town

Writing: we've almost completed the first part of Paragraph Town. We have learned quite a few things about the paragraph: need for order, clarity, and logic, the different kinds of paragraph.

Math: Joho is working on a review product. So far so good. It is mainly review for him, even though it is a grade higher than his official grade level,  but it helps solidify what he knows. I am continuing decimals with Zach and some problem solving.

History: we are wrapping up unit 2 of TOG with the Gold Rush after talking about the Oregon Trail last week. Zach can't wait to get to the Civil War part.

Spelling: we are still enjoying the Logic of English. The boys especially enjoy the games (as seen on the pictures: basketball and baseball phonograms). Their phonemic awareness and their spelling has greatly improved.

Science: we've been studying about the earth, covering what it is made of,  light and rocks, and now are starting talking about the weather.

What we are reading. . .

They finished reading The Hobbit and now Joho is reading Charlotte's Webb and Zach Tom Sawyer. For my part I am tremendously enjoying a book I just got: Think Christianly.

Places we are going . . .

Last week we started a 7 week long Volley-ball session with our homeschool group.The boys are very excited about it, though they complain about the drills, they want to be playing games the whole time.

What we've been cooking. . .

Curry beef, homemade pizza, Beef and Rice Casserole and Breakfast on a Tortilla.

The boys' favorite thing this week . . .

What did brought home:



Comments

Lori said…
Hello, Joelle!

I'm visiting through Ihomeschool Mother's Journal. You're week looks like it has been exciting.

The meals sound yummy! I think I'll try the Beef and Rice Casserole next week. Do you have a set recipe for the Curry Beef?

Have a good weekend.
Stefanie said…
Great week!!!! And dinner looks like it's been yummy. I should've stopped by. lol
Kym said…
Dinner looks yummy! :-) We've really enjoyed that History encyclopedia - hope you all do too!

Wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Liebster Award: http://kympossibleblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-liebster-award.html

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle