Skip to main content

Top Ten - A Charlotte Mason Education

There are so many homeschooling styles out there and sometimes it can be  difficult to tell what is what, and also difficult to choose one. I thought it might be useful to start a series on the main tenants of the different philisophies out there through a list of top ten characteristics.

Photobucket


Since we had a little workshop on the Charlotte Masson philosophy yesterday in our homeschool monthly meeting, I thought I'd share what I learned.

1. Education is an Atmosphere - the child's environment should not be dumbed down but inspiring. We must nurture the mind.

2. Education is a Life - education should not be separated from everyday life, but rather integrated.

3. Education is a Discipline - Formation of good habits.

4. Short lessons are key - the goal should be nurturing good attention habits and keeping things interesting and fun through a careful varying of the subjects.

5. Use of Living Books and lots of read-alouds.

6. Use of Narration. Read short passages of good literature and have the child retell the content to you in his own words. For more on narration, you can check a previous post of mine on the topic of narration.

7. Use of Copywork for lower grades and dictation for higher grades.

8. Emphasis on memorization of good literature, Bible verses and passages and poetry.

9. Emphasis on the art and nature with picture study, useful handicrafts and nature studies through journaling, drawing and painting.

10. Use of manipulative for Math.

For more Top Ten be sure to Visit OhAmanda.

Comments

oh amanda said…
Interesting! All of that sounds really very interesting! I'd have loved to been schooled like that--lots of read alouds and literature! My fave!
Joy said…
Thanks for sharing this Joelle! Stopping by from the Hip Homeschool Hop!
Kristine said…
Nice succinct description of a CM education. We love following her methods and find great joy for the teacher as well as the student. We have a monthly meeting with homeschool moms as well that is such a blessing and encouragement. Blessings from CA.
Kristine

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle