Skip to main content

Share a New Recipe Tuesday - Traditional Martinican Pates de Noel

For those of you who do not know yet, I am a native from the beautiful island of Martinique in the Caraibean. Though we are part of France, we are still islanders and as such have our cool traditional Christmas goodies that fill our tables at Christmas time.

Today I am going to share with you one of the most popular and enjoyed by all.

Pates de Noel


Dough:

The dough is a very simple pastry dough.

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2- 1tsp salt
125g ( 1/2 cup) butter
10 cl milk, or water, or a mix of both

Mix together  the flour and salt. Cut in the butter until resembles crumbs. Add the milk or water and mix until the dough comes together. Knead just enough to make a workable dough.

Filling:

1 lb ground pork
salt, pepper, 1 bay leaf
1 lemon
1 onion
3 garlic
a couple of green onions
scotch bonnet or red pepper flakes or enough of cayenne pepper to spice the lot
1 or 2 slices of bread soaked in milk (optional)

Brown the meat with the squeeze lemon and all of the spices. Add in the drained wet pieces of bread and let it simmer 10-15 minutes, until nice filling consistency - not too dry and definitely not too wet (stirring occasionally). Adjust seasoning to taste.

Assembly:

1. Roll the dough and make rounds all over the dough.
2. Place the rounds unto a baking sheet.
3. Gather the strips of dough, re-roll and make more rounds.
4. Place a tablespoon of filling unto the rounds on the baking sheets.
5. Damp the edges with a tiny bit of water and then place another round on top, pinching the sides together. At this point you can use the back of a fork to close them up on the sides.
6. Brush the Pates de Noel with egg yolk and place in the oven.
7. Bake 20 min at 375 until nicely browned

Et voila, enjoy!

Comments

Lori said…
Joelle, these look really good. I'm going to pin them, so I can give them a try after the first of the year.
Joelle said…
Hope you enjoy them Lori!

Popular posts from this blog

Writing & Rhetoric - A Writing Curriculum Review and a Giveaway

Curriculum choosing and buying can be a very daunting task. So many subjects to cover, so many curriculum to browse though, and so many companies to consider. Today I would like to share with you a product and a company that I have come to hold in high regards. When it comes to teaching writing to the boys I was not sure which way to go, as I would not exactly consider myself a great writer. Then came along Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I heard about it when the second book in a series of twelve just released, and I was immediately intrigued. You see I homeschool classically, and writing is an integral part of it. Classical Academic Press puts out products geared towards classical homeschooling, so there you had  the first common ground. I was searching for something that would teach them what writing was, and guide them through the process incrementally, without bombarding them with pages and pages of writing right from the start. I found what...

Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it

2016 was a pretty skimpy blogging year for me. Ask me why, I am not sure I have an answer for you beside life happening and writing inspiration fading. With a new year upon us I will try to get back on the blogging scene and what best topic to start the year with than giving you a glimpse into what homeschooling looks like in our home with now two teenagers. In the past 4 years I have enjoyed participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair hosted by Homechooling Hearts and Minds , so I am happy to start my year participating once more. For those who are not familiar with the Virtual Curiculum Fair, it is a month long series of posts, where over 20 homeschoolers share about their homeschool curriculum and how they homeschool. The weeks will go as follow: Week 1: See How We Learn/Welcome to the VCF Week 2: Playing with Words Week 3: Discovering Patterns Week 4: Exploring Our World Week 5: Seeking Beauty So how do we learn here? this is the topic of this ...

Homeschooling site

I have come across a few great homeschooling sites recently and thought I would share them. Budget Homeschool provides you with tips on how to homeschool on a budget, and has a large array of internet resources. Mathisfun is a great site for math ressources and games. Mathfactcafe is another free math ressource. M ath playground contains a large array of online math games, math problems and puzzles, as well as small tutorials Science with me has great animations, printables and information for teaching science. The best part it is free. Kidskreate is a site with lots of different crafts. They are categorized which make searching really easy Little giraffe is a great site for kindergarden with lots of ideas, projects and ressources. Lesson plan page is a sites with ideas for lesson on all the differents subjects by grades. Kinderart is a great sites for those who really like arts and cratfs. It contains a whole lot of activities. Have a great day, Joelle