Skip to main content

From Good to Grace - An Interview with Christine Hoover

I love theology, and I love reading books about theology and the Christian life. I am so glad I was able to get my hands on a copy of a brand new book that came out just this week: From Good to Grace by Christine Hoover.

If you do not know Christine Hoover, she is a Church planter's wife who loves the Lord and loves the people of God. By the title you can tell she has a message of grace to offer. While reading the book I was overwhelmed with this sense of "Yes, I so need to depend on Christ and His work, and the Holy Spirit." This book is a breath of fresh air in our world where measuring up, mistakenly, seems to be such an important concept.


I was so happy to be able to conduct an interview (via e-mail) with her, and am even happier to share it with you.

I truly hope that her answers will bless you and encourage you to pick up the book and read it. I have no doubt it will bless you too.


Q. What challenges  and attitudes were you trying to address in writing From Good to Grace?

I’ve found that many Christian women are deeply entangled in the bondage of “not good enough”. They live their lives solely based upon what others are saying and the loud voices of expectation in their heads. These voices correspond closely with cultural messages of “do more, try harder” and “be the change you want to see”. They’ve infiltrated our churches and have confused the simplicity and beauty of the gospel of Jesus. I wrote this book for those women, the ones who don’t even know they are living by the goodness gospel but feel the effects of it: the comparison, competition, division, people-pleasing, isolation, self-condemnation, and guilt. They are the ones who felt like I did: unloved by God and certain that they’ll never be enough or do enough for Him.

Q. How were the preliminary responses to your book?  Has the feedback been what you expected? and in what way?

I think I’ve been surprised at just how many women are resonating with the spiritual perfectionism I describe in the book. I am a Type-A, driven person by nature, so I suppose I assumed this book would resonate with that audience. I’m finding spiritual perfectionism doesn’t affect just one personality type, but all women. I think that’s because the goodness gospel is an innate belief: if I work hard, I will earn rewards or love.  

Q. How do you think your book will be received by those who think that some of us are making too much of grace versus law, and that we minimize the need for striving for Godliness? How do you think grace ad godliness are related?

In writing the book, I didn’t want to use the typical Christian phrases. I wanted to describe God’s grace as best I could with fresh word pictures and phrases. However, because I haven’t used the words “righteousness” or “holiness” directly, I think some will assume I’m cheapening grace and not calling for righteousness. The exact opposite is true. I believe that righteousness is an imputed gift (2 Corinthians 5:21) and a fruit (Romans 6:22) of presenting ourselves to God as “slaves of righteousness”. We aren’t presenting ourselves as slaves to righteousness, we’re presenting ourselves to God as slaves to righteousness. That’s a big difference, because it makes a distinction on who is in charge of our growth, change, and holiness. I can’t create godliness, but I can present myself to God in submission and surrender so that He can grow it in me. When we receive God’s grace, it compels a response of joyful obedience.

Q. I really appreciated your emphasize and centrality of the gospel throughout the book, do you think that much of our issues and hang ups over godliness and grace has to do with our misunderstanding of the Gospel?

Yes, I do. The gospel is not innate to us. It’s an announcement of good news that we must hear and proclaim to ourselves over and over again. We must let it consistently sink down deeper into every crevice of life. We get it wrong so often because what I term the goodness gospel--spiritual growth through self-effort--is innate. We tend to innately believe that external behaviors can change internal realities, so self-effort has an appearance of wisdom to us. We must, as Paul says in Galatians 5:1, “stand firm in the liberty for which Christ has set us free”.


So there’s this fight to live in the grace Christ has won for us, but I think in our churches we often focus on what the gospel says about salvation, but we aren’t always talking about how the gospel applies to our sanctification. How do we grow? How does the Holy Spirit work in our daily lives? What does it mean to walk by faith? Without understanding these concepts, we naturally revert back to the goodness gospel.  

Q. I was really encouraged by your emphasis on our postures as believers. If you had to summarize that posture in one sentence what would it be?

Receive God’s love and it will compel you to respond in obedience (which is based on 2 Corinthians 5:14).  

Get your copy at Amazon today!

Christine Hoover (@christinehoover) is an author, a recovering perfectionist, the wife of a pastor, and a mom of three boys. She writes online at www.GraceCoversMe.com and has contributed to Desiring God, The Gospel Coalition, Christianity Today, Send Network, and iBelieve. Her newest book, FromGood to Grace: Letting Go of the Goodness Gospel, offers women biblical freedom from trying to “be good enough”.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reformation Day Giveaway

We are approaching October 31, which is an important date for all protestants. This date commemorates Martin Luther’s nailing of his ninety-five theses to a church door on October 31, 1517 in Wittenburg, Germany, which in turn provoked a debate that resulted in what we now call the Protestant Reformation. As the “Father of the Reformation”, Martin Luther is a vital figure in Church History. His sacrifice and willingness to wage battle against the spiritual, religious, and political powers of his medieval world allowed Christians throughout time to embrace the following truths: salvation by grace alone , through faith alone,  and in Christ alone, along with the supremacy of Scripture, referred to as  Scripture alone, and all of it for God's Glory Alone. These being commonly called the Five Solas of the Reformation.  Danika Cooley, author and creator of the Bible curriculum Bible Road Trip ,  has recently written a book for young people recounting Luther's story:   When

Veritas Press Self-Paced History - TOS Review

Veritas Press  is a long lasting Christian classical homeschool curriculum company. They have served the homeschool communities for a long time. For the past few weeks, we have been privileged to be reviewing one of their latest products:  Self-Paced History . The Self-Paced History curriculum is an online interactive history program. It consists of 160 lessons per course per year, each covering about 32 important historical events. The full program is chronological and is divided into 5 periods: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt  New Testament, Greece and Rome  Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation  Explorers to 1815  1815 to Present  These courses are best suited to kids in the grammar stage, that is grade 2-6. Tuition for each course year is $199, with a discount of $100 for each additional student. You have a full year to complete the course. Because Self-Paced History is an online program, you will need a computer with internet access. You can find more

Visual Learning Systems - TOS Review

I have to admit I am in love with our first review product from the 2015 crew year. We received a full year subscription to Visual Learning Systems 's Digital Online Science Program Elementary edition and S econdary edition . Science has always been one those subjects I am having all sort of trouble deciding what to use and never being fully satisfied with what we are doing. Well my search is over. I am really hoping to stick with this one. What is Visual Learning Systems? Visual Learning Systems is an online science publisher that provides quality science educational material through videos. They offer Unit Studies for K-12 in DVD or digital format, as well as a Digital Online Subscription for both Primary/Elementary  (K-5) and Middle/High School  (6-12). The program we received, the Digital Online Subscription, is totally online. Therefore you need a computer and an internet connection. It also works fine on tablets. When you sign up you get a log in for the stude